Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Koreans, Movies, Parties

While the last few days have been fairly uneventful, hence my not posting anything, yesterday (as of this post, I always struggle internally with references to time and the potential confusion they can cause) was certainly a change of pace.
School was perfectly normal; we're learning adjective endings and it's a rather meaty part of making your German not sound particularly awful.
It was not class, but what happened afterward, that was interesting. For lunch I decided to go with 3 friends from the Goethe Institute, one from my class and two from higher ones. We went by car, as one of them lives in Poland and took his car here. Despite the fact that Berlin is a big, major city, driving is not a big problem here. The city's public transport is good enough that the streets remain free, I suppose. Anyways, we ended up at a restaurant unlike anything I had ever seen.
It is a Korean restaurant, but as soon as you go inside your eyes are battered with homemade tapestries on the wall all depicting Bible quotes and verses. Everywhere. In a Korean restaurant. It was very strange, but we'd heard wonderful things about the food. So we get a table and some menus. More than half of the text in the menus was totally unrelated to the food, it was more verses from the Bible as well as charts and illustrations. We couldn't make out too much of the text, but the general idea of it all is exactly what you'd expect from anyone trying to convince someone of Christianity. There was a lot about God's love, things Jesus did, and so on. We all decided that, however strange it was for that to be in the restaurant and in the menu, to stay and eat.
We ordered our food and it came a short time later, the other three ordering something called bibim-bab, which looked to be a rice, mixed veggies, and meat bowl. It smelled delicious, and all agreed it was very hot. My dish was a chicken one with similar vegetables, and it too was hot (albeit not terribly) and extremely good. I'll probably go there again, even if just to try and figure out what the heck that place is about.
On the way home, very close to it, there was some kind of commotion. Upon further inspection (because come on, who doesn't love to see commotions?) it was rather apparent that a movie scene was being filmed there, or rather was preparing to be filmed. There were a bunch of people milling about, preparing everything, one of those big movie cameras that was even on movie-style tracks to roll around on, and a small crowd. I took a couple pictures (soon to go on Flickr!) and was on my way. I didn't find out if it was a big-time movie or not, as the size of the set and the number of people involved certainly didn't look Hollywood, but it couldn't have been a small-time movie, it was too well-organized for that.
That night I met up with the same friends plus another to go to a party on a boat. It sounded really interesting, and we were led by an old friend of one of the guys in our group. As it would happen, this was not exactly a party for people our age. Most of the attendants were at least thirty years old, and the distribution of people trying to speak other languages was somewhat skewed. I signed up nonetheless, putting the language I speak and wanted to speak on a sheet, and was nearly immediately set upon by a somewhat attractive Turkish woman in her early thirties. She was simply delighted that I spoke English, and naively at that. I knew I was in trouble then, but I was polite. We spoke for a while, I ended up being a guinea pig for a few others, and then quietly excused myself from my group of friends to go home and study. Boring, yes, but this trip costs too much money to be sitting around speaking English all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment