Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Day 2: I love pastries.

I am not a morning person.
I never have been. I don't know if I ever will be. But the jetlag or the sun going down super early or something is helping me get up very early. I think there might be another underlying reason, though. The pastries at these bakeries are so good I just might make sure I always have time to get them on the way to class. I had some kind of bizarre U-shaped pastry, a bit like a dense croissant with... nuts or something on top? A glaze, not too much nor too little, and a bit of a filling that made me weep for Americans that have to have crappy doughnuts and such in the morning from Dunkin' Doughnuts or whatever they choose. America is missing out on some amazing stuff.
Class was a bit better than yesterday, partially because what German I learned continues to come back and partially because the teacher is using smaller words and simpler concepts. I think. It's hard to tell, but I definitely understood a heck of a lot more than yesterday. We're stocking up on verbs and conversation and even started touching on past tenses today. Certainly no dragging our feet, that's for sure. I did notice that when we went over how the past tense works, we accomplished in one hour what was perhaps the grammatical bulk of a semester of German at the High School level in America. That was a bit sad to realize, but gives me hope I'll be speaking well in no time.
After class came a meet and greet with free drinks and pretzels, and I filled up on that too much. I didn't eat much of my lunch, which is something that starts with a D that, I'm told, is the Turkish equivalent of the hamburger. It reminded me of Mexican food, with a tortilla-like shell filled with meat (meat that was literally shaved from a huge hunk, which was really weird to me) and toppings.
I came back home and took another nap, this time till 9. I simply cannot allow this to continue, or I'll lose a lot of time I could be doing other things. From eating too much before lunch and lunch, I wasn't very hungry and simply went without dinner. I studied and then went to bed, looking forward to another cold but fun day in Germany.

2 comments:

  1. It must be exhilerating! I love you and miss you...eat a tasty pastry for me! O and upload pix!!!!! <3 keep it real
    -fumpf kartoffel-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is the word you're looking for Doner Kebab?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D%C3%B6ner_kebab

    And german pastries are divine. Pretzels the size of my head for 50 euro cent...

    -Roxin

    ReplyDelete