Friday, February 12, 2010

The Flying Dutchman: The Review

So!
I'll post soon some of the minor things I've been up to, but mostly it's all jsut studying and such these days.
Though yesterday I did get the chance to see The Flying Dutchman, the opera, at the Deutche Oper! I was very excited to go. I spoke with someone in the seat next to me beforehand, for a while, in German, and felt very good about that. The opera had subtitles, which was great so you can tell what people are singing. Unfortunately while my German is getting better by the day I still couldn't follow too much of it. To add, it was a very 'modern' adaptation with a different setting, I think, but all the same music and words. So, I'm going to describe the opera, running through what happened. I will take my best guesses (of which there are a great many guesses) and simply rattle them off as if they were fact, rather than hemm and haw about what might have happened. I will often miss the mark completely due to misinterpreting the adaptation of the opera or not understanding the German. In only a few cases will I list the alternative explanations, and also please keep in mind the entire thing was very confusing to me for a multitude of reasons. I may have the order of events somewhat wrong too due to my confusion.
I was not the only one not appreciative of the modern interpretation, by the way, there was a good deal of booing at the end of the opera. You might see why soon.
So, without further adieu, the basic plot and my review of the Flying Dutchman!

The story opens on a busy stock market, with a great many people singing about a ship and the sea. A south wind is mentioned, or rather the lack thereof.
A girl, later revealed to be the boss' daughter, stops a man from suffocating himself and he seems rather displeased at this. He is the Flying Dutchman or perhaps the other love interest. The boss (kapitän) ends up meeting a Dutchman (Höllander) and inviting him to join them, on the boat, not the stock market. The boss is speaking about his daughter and the Dutchman is speaking about how he really wants a loyal wife and can't go home, and boy oh boy does he want a wife. The boss for what appears to be very little reason thinks his daughter would do nicely for this stranger, and there is much singing to this effect.
The second main scene takes place in a nail salon. Many women are talking about men, and one in particular (the boss' daughter) is speaking about who she likes. She sees a wall of pictures and begins marking the guys she doesn't like. Someone takes some of the pictures from the wall and then there is a game of keep-away, and someone takes a cellphone picture of the daughter (Whose name started with an S, and was rather odd. Seela or something.) There is another man, definitely the other love interest for her and possibly the guy trying to kill himself earlier, that tries to get her to run off with him. He is sad when she says no, and then he reveals a dream he had where the girl's father comes home with a guy for her. She then leaves.
Next comes a scene where the girl meets her dad, who is mad she doesn't kiss him hello, and she meets the Dutchman. The girl doesn't seem too happy about it, but they are to be wed at once and everyone seems at least ok with the idea. Immediately following that is a big party where one guy is already dead, another guy drinks till he dies, and then a good many guys (about 5) are killed via suffocation. There is no explanation for this. Also, a baby carriage is set on fire on stage.
The next scene, the final scene, depicts the daughter and the Dutchman watching over the scene with dead people. Then many other alive people come out, there is some discussion, and the other love interest comes out. The daughter may or may not want to be with him, but she shows what a loyal wife she is by killing herself. Every other woman present follows suit.
End opera.

So, considering that even those that speak German had no idea what was going on because the adaptation was so weird, and a bunch of people were booing (I clapped, I loved the music) I have to give this play 2/5 stars. The music was incredible, the actors were great, the singing was wonderful, but the actual opera, the production and what happened, was absolutely inappropriate, insane, and a total non-sequitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment